Sabra Mathis- Daughter of Aaron Mathis, Jr.

Well, I'm finally beginning to get back into my normal routine after my recent health mishaps. I had left off with a statement that I would begin a series of postings on the children of Joshua and Rebecca Grant Mathis' children (See the Wednesday, March 3rd Blog entry.) I plan to start that series this coming Wednesday.

Meanwhile, I received the following photo of Sabra Mathis, the eldest child of Aaron, Jr. and Margery Kirkbride Mathis, and Joshua Mathis' elder sister, from George and Mary Mathis. I thought I would pass it along to you. Hopefully, those interested in the Mathis Family will find it an interesting addition to their Mathis genealogy photo collection.

Hum! Wonder if those are Sabra's biceps or just frilly dress sleeves? I bet five bucks that she could take Jim McAnny or Ricky "White Shoes" Steele in an arm wrestling contest. Any takers?

Sabra E. Mathis, daughter of Aaron and Zelphy (Anderson) Mathis, born 13 June 1861 at New Gretna, died 1943, married at Stafford Township 4 January 1882, Allen Hazelton Cranmer, son of Edward E. and Elizabeth Ann (Cook) Cranmer, born 16 December 1854 at Manahawkin, died 1926. Hazelton was a farmer in Eagleswood Township in 1915. They are both buried in Greenwood Cemetery, Cedar Run. Their children:

i Leon H. Cranmer, married Emily A. Garcelon.

ii Everett Wilson Cranmer, married Eunice Sprague.

iii Carrie M. Cranmer, married Eugene Kelly, son of Cornelius Kelly.

iv Nevada E. Cranmer, married William James Jones Jr.

v Thelma E. Cranmer, born July 1903, married Edward Kane before 1929.


From "The Descendants of William Cramer of Elizabethtown, NJ"
by Jean and Murray Harris



Pete S