A New Gretna Lunch

Yesterday I had lunch with John Yates and Tom Farner, a couple of history buddies, at SoJos in the Tuckerton Seaport. It was nice to sit and have a leisurely chat about the history of our area and compare notes on some research projects that we are working on.

I wish we were able to meet in a local New Gretna restaurant but, alas, there are none to be found. That was not always the case, as there were always a restaurant or luncheonette or two in old time New Gretna where locals could gather for a bite to eat and chat about the events of the day. 

The last restaurant that I remember in New Gretna was Frank's just off the corner of South Maple Avenue and Route 9, but it has been quite a few years since it closed when Frank passed away. It was the morning meeting place for the older locals.

I've been trying to collect information on past New Gretna eating establishments and recently came across a 1936 Tuckerton Beacon ad for the opening of the Quaker Maid restaurant with home cooking and featuring home made pies and cakes. That would have been just the ticket for me and my history buddies to meet. 


The Quaker Maid Restaurant is somewhat of a puzzlement to me, as I had never heard of it. It is advertised as under the management of Mrs. William Cramer and was located on New York Boulevard, now Route 9. I'm hoping that someone out in the Blog-O-Sphere might recognize the name and provide some background information for me.

Pete S


PS- Oooops! I forgot about Allen's Clam Bar on Rt 9 in downtown New Gretna. I'm not a fish eater, so I tend to overlook it. They have great sea food for all you sea food lovers. If you haven't been there, give it a try.


Allen's Clam Bar in downtown New Gretna.